The Auditory Neuropathy Spectrum Disorder 2014 Conference will be held on June 18th 2014 at Nemours/Alfred I duPont Hospital for Children in Wilmington, Delaware with the aims of training professionals in the diagnosis and management of ANSD.
In keeping with Nemours’ emphasis on close ties between the clinic and laboratory, this year’s symposium topic is intended to provide a forum for researchers and clinicians to present and discuss how advances in technology and therapies can improve language development outcomes in children with hearing loss.
In this fifth year of the ANSD workshop, they will extend the materials presented previously, taking advantage of their own experiences with this beguiling disorder. The ANSD program at Nemours/Alfred I duPont Hospital for Children has developed a diagnostic protocol using a team approach that allows them to manage and track more than 150 ANSD children, educate their parents, and counsel their educational team. Their program specifically targets the identification, treatment and research in the area of ANSD and allows them to be better able to respond to the children’s needs. 0.5 CEU credit is available from AAA & ASHA, and 5 Advanced level/Professional area CE Credits from AGBell are available for attendees.
- Introduction to Auditory Neuropathy Spectrum Disorder … Charles I Berlin PhD
- Overview of Auditory Neuropathy: Underlying physiology, clinical presentation, physiologic and behavioral responses, patient variation … Linda J. Hood, PhD
- Differential Diagnosis and Associated Disorders; plus Neuromaturation: Role of imaging studies and test strategy … Thierry Morlet PhD
- Risk Factors, Medical Considerations: Newborn Hearing Screening … Thierry Morlet PhD
- Management of ANSD: The Vanderbilt Model … Linda J Hood PhD
- Outcomes with Hearing Aids and Cochlear Implants … Yell Inverso AuD PhD
- Use of Cortical Auditory Evoked Potentials in ANSD Evaluation and Management … L Ashleigh Greenwood AuD
- Case studies … Charles I Berlin PhD, Linda J Hood PhD, & Thierry Morlet PhD
- Final Comments Questions / Evaluations … Charles I Berlin PhD, Linda J Hood PhD & Thierry Morlet PhD
In addition, the 8th Annual Conference on Cochlear Implantation in Children is being hosted by the Center for Pediatric Auditory and Speech Sciences (CPASS) and the Outpatient Therapy Services the next day on June 19th. Each of these events has separate registration, so you only pay for what you need.
Getting to Wilmington, Delaware:
Nemours is about a 20 minute drive from Philadelphia International Airport (PHL), which is the east coast hub for US Airways, with extensive flights on Southwest, Delta, and United.
The Conference site is also about an 80 minute drive from Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI), which is the east coast hub for Southwest Airlines.